Huish Academy

History

of Huish Episcopi

 

The name 'Huish Episcopi' derives from the lands or household ("huish" from the Old English hiwisc) and episcopi meaning belonging to the Bishop of Wells. The bishops held the manor area of Langport and its environs from Saxon times until 1859.

The origins of the academy can be traced back to 6th December 1675 when the original grammar school foundation was created by Will of Thomas Gillett.

There have been four previous head teachers of the modern school that has become Huish Episcopi Academy and the current Principal is Andrew Davis.

 

Huish Academy History