Skip to content ↓

A Level PE is an exciting qualification for students interested in sport, exercise and science. Students learn about a variety of sports science derived topics, including applied anatomy and physiology, biomechanics, sports psychology and sports technology.

A Level Physical Education is a stimulating, challenging and academic qualification, with 70% of the course assessed through 3 written exams. The remaining 30% is examined through either performing or coaching in one sport (15%), and through evaluating and analysing performance (15%). The course is not solely classroom based; students will be given plenty of opportunities to apply their theoretical knowledge to a practical setting throughout the 2 years.

Unit 1: Physiological factors affecting performance (applied anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology, biomechanics). Assessed via a 2 hour written exam, worth 30%.

Unit 2: Psychological factors affecting performance (skill acquisition, sports psychology). Assessed via a 1 hour written exam, worth 20%.

Unit 3: Social cultural issues in physical activity and sport (sport and society, contemporary sporting issues). Assessed via a 1 hour written exam, worth 20%.

The non-examined-assessment is worth the remaining 30 % and includes the following:

  1. Performance or coaching in one sport (15%)
  2. Evaluation and analysis of performance for improvement (15%). This is assessed via an oral response to a performance students have viewed.

Extending Your Experience

All students have the opportunity to attend an aspirational trip to The University of Bath Human Performance Centre. Here, students engage in fitness testing (both in the field and laboratory), have a tour of the world class facilities, and engage in a higher educational lecture on a sports science topic. In addition, throughout the 2 years students will also develop transferable ‘soft’ skills that are in demand by Higher Education and employers in all sectors

of industry. These skills include leadership, critical thinking, problem solving, communication and teamwork.

Entry Requirements

Grade 5 minimum English, Maths and Science. B grade minimum in GCSE PE if taken. Distinction minimum BTEC L2 Sport.

Must take part in at least one sport for an external sports club.

Where will this course take me?

The course will allow students to further study PE or Sports Science courses at university, as well as other related subject areas such as 


Where Next