1. Read through the prospectus and course information carefully. As a guideline we would recommend that most students who have achieved five grades at level 6 or above should consider three to four A Levels.
2. Many of you will already have had a careers or guidance interview and you should consider the ideas in your decision making.
3. Attend open evenings or arrange to visit Huish Sixth (Tel No: 01458 254939) to talk to the subject leader and Head of Huish Sixth about your ideas.
4. Complete the application form to indicate the courses of interest.
5. You will then be invited to attend a meeting to discuss your application. This will take place within four weeks of your application being received.
6. You will be offered a provisional place which will be subject to achieving the required grades for the courses you have chosen.
7. You will be invited to an Induction Day in the
summer term to prepare you for your start at Huish Sixth.
8. You should confirm your place on GCSE results day either in person or by email to secure your place on the courses.
The Russell Group is an umbrella organisation that represents 20 of the UK’s leading universities. It recently published ‘Informed Choices’, its first ever guide to Post-16 subject choices.
‘Informed Choices’, provided in collaboration with the Institute of Career Guidance, is aimed at students considering A level and equivalent options. It includes advice on the best subject combinations for a wide range of university courses as well as advice on the best choices if you don’t know what you want to study after school and need to keep your options open.
The document contains a wealth of information about Post-16 subjects, and the best combinations for accessing a range of undergraduate courses. ‘Informed Choices’ is explicit about one thing; students wishing to gain entry to Russell Group Universities should study at least two facilitating subjects at A level. These subjects are:
. Mathematics and Further Mathematics
. English Literature
. Languages (Classical and Modern)
‘Informed Choices’ can be accessed through the following link - www.russellgroup.org
If you change your mind, don’t worry – just keep us informed.
*courses will be run subject to sufficient student interest.