The Academy pastoral system is made up of five houses named after Somerset apples:
Each House is led by a Head of House, supported by their House Captains (two students from Year 11) and a team of Prefects. Within each House there are ten tutor teams made up of students from Year 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.
- Roger Madge Assistant Principal- Pastoral, Behaviour and Attendance
- Jon Merrick - Wren Designated Safeguarding Lead/ Assistant Principal
- Jules Richards Attendance Lead / Head of Bailbrook House
- Elizabeth Robinson - Primary School Transition/ Head of Lambrook House
- Rachel Mason Head of Film studies/ Head of Merchant
- Oliver Walby PSHE Lead / Head of Pennard
- Ben Wood - PSHE Lead / Head of Chelston
- James Vigar - Pastoral Student Support Officer/ Administrator
- Ali Powell - Attendance Officer
House points can be awarded by any member of staff for contributions made to the students House, the subjects they study or the broader life of the school.
A series of House competitions take place throughout the year. These include events such as ‘Huish has Talent’, ‘The Great Huish Bake Off’, ‘Huish University Challenge’ and a Football/Netball House tournament. Alongside the large events a series of smaller events will also take place that will include a Poetry competition, Spelling Bee, Inter-House Maths Challenge and an Art Competition.
Each House are given points to recognise their achievements in these competitions. Students can also receive personal rewards for achieving House points. These rewards include hot chocolate from the canteen and sports equipment and stationery from the school shop.
The finale of the competition will see the winning House ‘off timetable’ on the last day of term celebrating their success.